Here's a view that you will never see
again. Both of my '67's sitting side by side in my
Well, not long after bringing the '67
home from Arizona, I sent it in the Bel-Red Auto Rebuild to
get her rear quarters straightened out.
While her panels were getting worked
over I decided it was time to get a proper place for her to
park when she came home.
The first thing I had to do was come
up with a design in my head, and then go buy the materials.
I decided a 15x22 carport should just do the trick.
Here is our Van loaded to the hilt
with 16' lumber and metal roofing.
And here is the material laid out on
Then comes the hard part, putting to
reality what was in my head.
I started by building the trusses
Next came the
walls with trusses set in place
Finally (not quite) came
My car was taking longer than
expected, so, after painting the floor, I used this
opportunity to detail my sons Neon Sport Coupe "Nitro"
It was sure nice working in the shade
for a change. Never has been enough room in the garage
to polish and wax a car.
It was finally now time to go pick up
my car at the body shop. It had been a month and a
half and I had lost precious "good weather" time to work on
Bel-Red had I straightened the fenders
and welded all of the emblem holes shut except for the CS on
the roof. While they did a pretty amazing job at repairing
some very bad damage, after closer examination I will still
need to do some finessing to get the curves just like I want
them. There is some filler in the Drivers rear fender
as the damage that they found under the paint and bondo was
pretty severe and it took a lot of work to get the lines
I started right away to start to
deconstruct the car.
I told you I wasn't quite done with
the carport. I decided it needed proper lighting and a
exterior wall to keep the rain out. (It's been known to do
that here in Washington). I also added some T-4
sideing to the gables to finish it off.
You can see on the far wall where I am
starting to store the mechanical parts.
Inside my garage I built a pegboard
wall to hold the chrome pieces.
I have spent the past several days
sorting out the parts between the two cars and choosing the
best for the final creation. Virtually all of the
external chrome will come from my original car as I had
really babied the car and it was in very good condition.
The new '67's chrome had 100,000 more miles on it and showed
the wear. As for the interior, I am using several
parts, where possible from the new car as mine sat out under
a cover for many years and the interior started to mold and
some of the chrome has pitted. Some like the console
and bucket seat fittings I will just have to replace or
re-chrome as the new car is a bench.
Off come the doors and fenders and
inner fender wells. Next I will fit the doors off of
my other '67 to the body and then fit the fenders to the
doors and body. Next I will reattach the hood and fit
it and the fenders together.
The reason I took the inner fender
wells out is that they make it tough to adjust the fenders.
I figure once I am satisfied that they fit like I like them.
I will etch the body mount points so when I go to reassemble
the car after painting I will be sure to get a good start on
After all is to my satisfaction, I
will sand down the fenders and smooth them out and prime
them. I will then disassemble the whole car and paint
the panels individually. This will insure that I get
good coverage inside and outside of the panels.
Since I am painting the car it's
original "Provincial White", color matching will not be a
problem. I will just need to be careful when
reassembling. I have some tricks up my sleeve to
insure I don't nick the paint.
It is now September 12th, 2006 and I
have a few days left before I have to take a two week
business trip. I will try and get the doors fitted and
the fenders reattached before I go. I will then work
on the alignment and smoothing of the panels in October.
Part 3 to come in early
November to bring you up to date on my progress.